Fully Raw Lasagna
To make the zucchini lasagna “noodles,” you will need a mandoline, a very sharp knife or a vegetable peeler. You will also need a high-speed blender for this recipe. For a freestanding lasagna, you can make this recipe on a platter, with no pan required.
This recipe is vegan, dairy free and corn free.
- [Image]: http://cdn.glutenfreeliving.com/2016/01/fully-raw-lasagna.jpg
- ZUCCHINI "NOODLES"
- 5 large zucchini, about 4½ pounds, stems removed
- HERBACEOUS SPREAD
- 1 to 2 cups fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley, leaves and stems
- 3 cups arugula
- ½ bunch cilantro, about 1½ ounces, leaves and stems, coarsely chopped
- 1 small bunch spinach, about 6 ounces
- 3 to 4 Swiss chard leaves, stems removed and reserved
- 1 to 2 green onions, white and green parts, trimmed, cut into chunks
- EPIC MARINARA SAUCE
- 4 cups cherry tomatoes, or other chopped tomatoes, stems removed, or use sun-dried tomatoes
- Reserved stems from Swiss chard leaves
- Small handful of fresh oregano
- A few sprigs of fresh basil
- PINE NUT CREME
- 1 small zucchini, stem removed, cut into chunks
- ¾ cup raw pine nuts
- 1 small garlic clove, optional
- A few cherry tomatoes, stems removed, halved
Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise. Then cut long, thin lengthwise slices (noodles) by running the zucchini down your mandoline, slicing by hand with a knife, or peeling with a vegetable peeler. Set aside.
To make the Herbaceous Spread, puree all of the ingredients into a rich green paste in a food processor. Scrape into a bowl with a spatula and set aside.
To make the Epic Marinara Sauce, put all of the ingredients into the blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
To make the Pine Nut Crème, put all ingredients into a blender and blend into a thick creamy filling. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
Line the bottom of a deep-dish pan, if using, with a double layer of zucchini slices. The bottom layer needs to support a lot of food, so make sure this layer is thick and sturdy.
Top the bottom zucchini layer with a third of the Herbaceous Spread, a third of the Marinara Sauce, and 8 to 10 more zucchini slices. Continue layering with half of remaining Herbaceous Spread, half of Pine Nut Crème, and another row of zucchini slices. Top with remaining Herbaceous Spread and half of remaining Marinara Sauce.
Place the lasagna in the freezer for about 30 minutes to help firm the layers.
Remove from the freezer and add another layer of zucchini slices, remaining Pine Nut Crème, remaining Epic Marinara, and a final layer of zucchini slices.
Freeze for another 2 hours (but no longer) to help everything firm up and make the lasagna easier to slice.
Cut the lasagna into squares and serve garnished with cherry tomato halves.
Nutrition Analysis: 200 cal, 12 g fat, 0 mg chol, 130 mg sodium, 21 g carbs, 7 g fiber, 12 g sugar, 9 g protein.
Recipe excerpted from The Fully Raw Diet © 2016 by Kristina Carrillo-Bucaram. Reproduced by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved.
Source URL: https://www.glutenfreeliving.com/recipes/main-dish/fully-raw-lasagna/
Copyright ©2022 Gluten-Free Living unless otherwise noted.