- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1-½ pounds)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 inch piece ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt (plus additional)
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper (plus additional)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 4 cups jarred tomato sauce
- 3-6 green onions, green parts chopped
Heat olive oil in a large, deep skillet. Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper and brown in skillet on both sides (not necessary to cook through). Remove to a dish and add onion to pan, and cook until translucent (about 5 minutes).
Stir in spices and continue cooking for 1 minute. Add wine and stir to deglaze pan, then add tomato sauce. Add chicken back to pan and cover; simmer for 20 minutes.
Serve with chopped green onion.