In this favorite go-to weeknight recipe, the flavor and texture mimic crispy fried chicken but without all the hot oil. Seasoned with just a little heat (hence the devilled part), the ingredients are easy to halve or increase.
- 4 whole chicken legs, thighs & drumsticks (2 to 2½ pounds)
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon mild or hot paprika, such as Spanish “Chiquilin”
- 1 cup fresh gluten-free bread crumbs, made from 2 slices soft gluten-free wholegrain sandwich bread, such as Udi’s
- Olive oil cooking spray
Heat the oven to 375° F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
Pull off and discard the skin from the chicken legs. Rinse and pat dry with paper towels. Spray a little olive oil on the undersides and place on the baking sheet, rounded side up.
Combine the butter, mustard, vinegar, salt and paprika. Using the back of a teaspoon, rub the mixture all over top surface of each chicken leg. Sprinkle evenly with the crumbs and spritz lightly with cooking spray. Bake for about 40 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Calories: 410, Carbohydrates: 6 g, Protein: 44 g, Fat: 22 g, Cholesterol: 235 mg, Sodium: 670 mg, Fiber: 0 g
Recipe © copyright 2014 by Jacqueline Mallorca.
The author of more than a dozen cookbooks, Gluten-Free Living Food Editor Jacqueline Mallorca has written titles including The Wheat-Free Cookand Gluten-Free Italian.