Sticky Chicken Zucchini Noodle Bowls
These fabulous noodle bowls are exploding with flavor and packed with vitamins and minerals. If you don’t have a spiralizer, you can make this dish by julienning or using a vegetable peeler instead.
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste, optional
- 1 yellow squash, spiralized and drained
- 1 zucchini, spiralized and drained*
- *After spiralizing zucchini, lightly salt. Use a paper towel to press “noodles” in a colander lined with paper towels to release most of their juices, and allow to drain for 10 minutes.
- CHICKEN AND MARINADE
- 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
Place a rimmed cookie sheet in oven and preheat oven to 400° F.
Rinse chicken thighs and pat dry with a paper towel. Mix together chicken marinade and drizzle over thighs.
Once oven has preheated, quickly remove pan and place thighs, skin side down, onto pan and return to oven for 15 minutes.
Remove pan from oven; flip thighs and cook an additional 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
Let rest for 5 minutes before slicing thinly.
Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat.
Sauté onion in coconut oil until it starts to soften, 3 to 4 minutes.
Whisk in coconut aminos, fish sauce, almond butter, vinegar, honey and tamarind paste, if using, just until combined.
Add squash and zucchini and toss to combine; let cook for 1 minutes and remove from heat.
Serve “noodles” in individual bowls with chicken on top.
If desired, top with garnishes and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
Nutrition Analysis: 260 cal, 13 g fat, 55 mg chol, 570 mg sodium, 14 g carbs, 1 g fiber, 11 g sugar, 20 g protein
Recipe and photo by Angela Sackett, a photographer at Legacy Seven Studios and writer at saletlux.com and dancingwithmyfather.net, where she shares recipes and hospitality tips.
Source URL: https://www.glutenfreeliving.com/recipes/main-dish/chicken-zucchini-noodle-bowls/
Copyright ©2022 Gluten-Free Living unless otherwise noted.