- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2.5 pounds beef brisket, with fat trimmed
- 5 small sweet potatoes, peeled and chunked
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 3 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup dried dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup dried apricots
- 1/2 cup dried figs
- 1/2 cup dried, pitted prunes
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 cups unsweetened tomato juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup pure brown sugar
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
Heat olive oil in a large roasting pan with a lid over high heat.
Season the brisket with salt and pepper. Add the brisket to the roasting pan and brown well on both sides over stove top medium heat, about 3-4 minutes per side.
Drain off excess fat. Combine and mix the beef broth, tomato juice, garlic and sugar in a bowl. Spread the onions and dried fruits over the beef and cover with the combined broth/juice. Turn the stove top burner to low and simmer brisket, covered for 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Add the potatoes and carrots to the roasting pan. Stir to coat brisket with the sauce. Cover pan with foil. Put the pot in the oven and cook for about 1½ hours until the brisket is tender. Baste the meat with the sauce occasionally during this time.
Remove the brisket from the roasting pan and slice against the grain. Serve with the stew (tzimmes).
Source URL: https://www.glutenfreeliving.com/recipes/main-dish/brisket-with-tzimmes/
Copyright ©2020 Gluten-Free Living unless otherwise noted.