Braised Chicken with Mini Bell Peppers
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 8 to 10 (about 8 ounces) red, orange and yellow sweet peppers, tops and seeds discarded, cut in halves or quarters
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken thighs, cut into halves or thirds lengthways
- ¼ cup dry red wine
- ½ cup gluten-free chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon cold water
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
Warm 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a heavy casserole over medium-low heat until it shimmers. Add the onion and sauté until softened but not colored, 5 minutes. Add the fennel seeds and sauté for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the remaining olive oil in a large nonstick skillet. Brown the chicken pieces lightly, in two batches, adding them to the casserole as you go. Add the wine to the skillet, and let reduce by half. Stir in the chicken broth and tomato paste. Pour over the chicken and peppers, mix gently, and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat, cover but leave the lid slightly ajar, and simmer until tender, stirring occasionally, about 35 minutes. Stir the cornstarch mixture into the sauce and let boil until it thickens and clears, 10 seconds or less. Stir in the parsley and divide the chicken, vegetables and sauce among heated dinner plates.
Cooking time: 45 minutes.
(This recipe originally appeared in #2/2012)
Recipe by Jacqueline Mallorca. The author of more than a dozen cookbooks, Jackie Mallorca’s most recent titles include The Wheat-Free Cook and Gluten-Free Italian. For more information, tips and recipes, go to GlutenFreeExpert.com.
Source URL: https://www.glutenfreeliving.com/recipes/main-dish/braised-chicken-with-mini-bell-peppers/
Copyright ©2018 Gluten-Free Living unless otherwise noted.