Braised Chicken & Carrots with Cumin
Braised Chicken serves 4; Easy Brown Rice makes 4 half-cup servings
Inspired by North African tagine, this easy, lightly spiced chicken dish stars new carrots and ripe tomatoes.
- BRAISED CHICKEN & CARROTS
- ¾ pound carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless free-range chicken thighs
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 1 (6-ounce) yellow onion, quartered and sliced
- 1 garlic clove, smashed and finely chopped
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch hot red pepper flakes, or more to taste
- 4 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 cup (8 ounces) peeled and chopped vine-ripened tomatoes
- ½ cup (2 ounces) pitted Kalamata olives
- Fresh cilantro, to serve
- Easy Brown Rice (recipe below)
- EASY BROWN RICE
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup (8 ounces) round-grain brown rice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
Easy Brown Rice
Bring the water to a rolling boil in a heavy saucepan with a tight-fitting lid. Add the rice and salt, cover the pan and reduce heat to low. Simmer until the water evaporates and the rice is tender, 40 minutes. Remove from the heat, uncover, fluff with a fork and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
Braised Chicken & Carrots
Heat the oven to 400° F. Toss the carrots with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, place on a rimmed baking sheet, and roast until they start to brown, turning once, about 15 minutes. Set aside.
Meanwhile, rinse and dry the chicken thighs and cut lengthwise into two or three pieces, depending on size. Warm 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-low heat. Brown the chicken lightly on both sides in two batches, turning once, about 8 minutes. (Reserve the first batch while the second one browns.) Season with salt and pepper.
Add the onion to the pan and stir occasionally until softened, 3 minutes. Add the garlic and the reserved chicken. Sprinkle the cumin, cinnamon and pepper flakes over the chicken and turn them over. Add the wine and let it evaporate. Stir in the carrots, tomatoes and olives. Cover the pan, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Turn the chicken and continue cooking until the sauce (the chicken and veggies will both contribute liquid) has reduced (thickened), another 10 minutes or so. Taste for seasoning. Serve with Easy Brown Rice and garnish with cilantro.
The author of more than a dozen cookbooks to date, Gluten-Free Living Contributing Editor Jackie Mallorca’s titles include The Wheat-Free Cook and Gluten-Free Italian.
Source URL: https://www.glutenfreeliving.com/recipes/main-dish/braised-chicken-carrots-cumin/
Copyright ©2021 Gluten-Free Living unless otherwise noted.