Basil Chicken Salad Sandwiches
3 cups chicken salad or 6 sandwiches
Chicken salad is a staple in my fridge. My husband loves it! But I’m always looking to add different flavors to keep it interesting. For this one, I decided to add fresh basil and green onions. It’s a healthy and tasty meal that you turn into a sandwich or just eat straight out of the bowl.
- For chicken:
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1/2 pound each)
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, separated
- 1 teaspoon salt, separated
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, separated
- For salad:
- ¾ cup Vegenaise or gluten-free mayonnaise
- ½ cup finely chopped celery (about 2 stalks)
- ½ cup finely chopped Gala apple
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup thinly sliced green onions
- ¼ cup finely chopped basil leaves
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 slices of gluten-free bread (either regular or cinnamon raisin bread)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place chicken breasts top side down in a baking dish. Drizzle 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil, ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper on each chicken breast. Flip over and repeat. Bake for 33 minutes. Remove from the oven. Immediately, cover chicken first with parchment paper and then aluminum foil. Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes before cutting into small dice.
Place diced chicken in a large bowl. Add the remaining ingredients (except of the bread) and mix well. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes or until cold.
When you’re ready to make the sandwiches, use about ½ cup of chicken salad on each sandwich. (If your favorite gluten-free bread tends to get soggy easily, lightly toast it before assembling). Slice diagonally and assemble on a platter. Enjoy!
Baking time: 33 minutes. Chilling time: 30 minutes. Standing time: 10 minutes.
Source URL: https://www.glutenfreeliving.com/recipes/main-dish/basil-chicken-salad-sandwiches/
Copyright ©2019 Gluten-Free Living unless otherwise noted.