15-Minute Chickpea Dal
This hearty chickpea dal makes for a great weeknight meal. The curry powder adds deep flavor, not heat, making it a kid-friendly dinner.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or put through a garlic press
- 1 15-ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, low sodium or no sodium added
- 1 tablespoon mild curry powder*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coconut milk, full or low fat
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Cooked rice for serving, optional
- *Most curry powders are a blend of mild, flavorful spices. However, some contain cayenne pepper. Those will be labeled "hot" curry powder. For this recipe, use regular or mild curry powder, unless you love a spicy kick.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until the oil shimmers but does not smoke. Add the onion and sauté until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
Add the tomatoes, garbanzo beans, curry powder and salt. Bring to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the coconut milk. Simmer for 5 minutes.
Transfer to a serving plate. Sprinkle chopped cilantro over the surface. Serve with warm rice, if desired.
Nutrition Analysis: 270 cal, 17 g fat, 0 mg chol, 1020 mg sodium, 24 g carbs, 7 g fiber, 3 g sugar, 8 g protein.
Elizabeth Barbone, author of the cookbooks Easy Gluten-Free Baking and How to Cook Gluten-Free, is a regular contributor to Gluten-Free Living. She also blogs at glutenfreebaking.com.
Source URL: https://www.glutenfreeliving.com/recipes/main-dish/15-minute-chickpea-dal/
Copyright ©2020 Gluten-Free Living unless otherwise noted.