Compote is a traditional dessert comprised of stewed fruits (fresh or dried) in a sweet syrup with added spices. Compotes are usually served chilled and like this recipe, they are quite simple to prepare.
- 1 cup dried apricots, pitted
- 1 cup dried prunes or plums, pitted
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup organic coconut sugar
- 1 strip of lemon rind or 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2-3 cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice (also works well with cinnamon)
- Pinch sea salt
- Chopped pecans or nuts of choice for garnish (optional)
In a medium saucepan, add all dried fruits (except lemon rind) and stir to combine. Add enough water to just cover the fruits. Bring everything to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 13-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add cloves, lemon rind, sugar, allspice and salt. Stir and add a little water if mixture seems too dry.
Reduce heat to simmer and simmer uncovered, for 10 to 13 minutes or until fruit becomes soft and you have a syrup. Remove cloves and lemon rind.
Chill compote for at least 2-3 hours. Serve chilled and garnish with chopped nuts.