This enduringly popular English pastry is said to have originated centuries ago in or near the small town of Bakewell in Derbyshire. Note that you will need to prepare half of our Gluten-Free Shortcrust Pastry for this recipe.
- Gluten-Free Shortcrust Pastry: http://www.glutenfreeliving.com/recipes/desserts-sweets/gluten-free-shortcrust-pastry/
- 25 part-baked and cooled 2½-inch barquette (boat-shaped) shells or 2-inch round molds (using half of Gluten-Free Shortcrust Pastry recipe)
- ½ stick (2 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup (1¾ ounces) white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1½ teaspoons dark rum
- ⅔ cup (2 ounces) almond meal
- 1 tablespoon brown rice flour
- 4 tablespoons (2 ounces) raspberry jam, melted and strained, warm
- 4 tablespoons (2 ounces) apricot jam, melted and strained, warm
- ½ cup (2½ ounces) confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Heat the oven to 350° F. Place the part-baked, pastry lined barquette molds on a rimmed baking sheet.
To make the filling, beat the butter and sugar until creamy. Beat in the egg, rum and almond meal. Add the brown rice flour and beat just long enough to mix.
Drop ¼ teaspoon of apricot or raspberry glaze in each shell and spread it out a little. Top with almond filling using a pastry bag with plain ¼-inch tip. Don’t overfill as the almond filling expands. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until the tops are light tan. Let cool on a rack, still in the molds.
Brush the surface of each barquette with glaze, preferably using raspberry glaze if you filled the tart with apricot glaze and vice versa. Let set, about 1 hour.
Mix the confectioners’ sugar with just enough of the lemon juice to make a runny, semi-transparent frosting. Brush over the jam-glazed fillings. When set, tap on the underside to release each tartlette.
Calories: 110, Carbohydrates: 15 g, Protein: 1 g, Fat: 6 g, Cholesterol: 20 mg, Sodium: 10 mg, Fiber: 0 g
Cook’s tip: You will have jam glazes left over. Use to flavor plain yogurt or stir into a pan of simmering dried apricots or prunes.
Gluten-Free Living Food Editor Jackie Mallorca has over a dozen cookbooks to her credit. Her latest titles include The Wheat-Free Cook and Gluten-Free Italian.
Source URL: https://www.glutenfreeliving.com/recipes/desserts-sweets/mini-bakewell-tarts/
Copyright ©2020 Gluten-Free Living unless otherwise noted.