Any cake baked in a fluted metal kugelhopf pan is still a kugelhopf, though today it’s more commonly used for baking a yeast-raised, lightly sweetened breakfast bread.
- 1 tablespoon melted butter for mold
- 1 cup (4 ounces) brown rice flour, plus extra for mold
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) potato starch
- 1/4 cup (11/4 ounces) tapioca starch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, such as Hershey’s
- 3 tablespoons water
- 11/4 sticks (5 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 (5 3/4 ounces) cup white sugar
- 3 large eggs, separated
- Zest of 1 small orange, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (4 fluid ounces) milk
- Confectioners’ sugar
Heat the oven to 350° F.
Brush a 9-inch kugelhopf mold (or Bundt pan) with the melted butter and dust with rice flour, knocking out any excess. This ensures a smooth surface and easy removal of the baked cake; baking spray is not recommended here.
Sift the rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch and baking powder together and set aside. Blend the cocoa with the water and reserve.
Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks, orange zest and vanilla, and beat until smooth, Fold in the milk and half of the flour mix alternately, in two or three batches.
In a separate bowl and using clean, dry beaters, whisk the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold in the egg whites alternately with the remaining flour
to make a smooth mixture.
Spoon two-thirds of the batter into the mold. Add the cocoa mixture to the remaining batter and mix well. Add on top of the batter already in the mold. Slide a knife blade through the chocolate batter
to spread it slightly.
Bake for about 50 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Loosen the edges gently with a knife blade and jiggle the pan to make sure the cake is loose. Unmold onto a rack and let cool completely.
Sift a little confectioners’ sugar on top
Calories: 300, Carbohydrates: 39g, Protein: 4g, Fat: 15g, Cholesterol: 90mg, Sodium: 30mg, Fiber: 2g