This tender cake makes the perfect foil for aromatic strawberries.
- Gluten-free nonstick baking spray
- 6 tablespoons (3 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (7½ ounces) white sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- Grated zest of 1 large lemon, preferably organic
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon pure lemon oil, such as Boyajian, optional
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10 tablespoons (5 ounces) plain nonfat European-style yogurt, at room temperature
- Strawberries, confectioners’ sugar and Greek yogurt, to serve
- Flour Blend
- 1 ¾ cups (7 ounces) gluten-free all-purpose flour mix, such as Trader Joe’s or Pamela’s
- ½ cup (3 ounces) stoneground, whole-grain corn flour (not meal)
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum (omit if included in flour mix)
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
Heat the oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-cup Bundt pan lightly with gluten-free baking spray. Combine the flour-blend ingredients and set aside.
Beat the butter and sugar until well mixed. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, lemon oil if using and vanilla.
Using a flexible spatula, fold in the flour mix and yogurt in three alternate batches to make a soft, smooth batter that will just drop from a spoon. Scrape into the pan and smooth the top.
Bake for about 45 minutes, until an inserted cake tester emerges clean. Let rest in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Loosen the top edges with a knife before inverting and unmolding. Let cool completely. Dust with confectioners’ sugar and serve with fresh berries and thick Greek yogurt.
Calories: 160, Carbohydrates: 26 g, Protein: 3 g, Fat: 6 g, Cholesterol: 45 mg, Sodium: 95 mg, Fiber: 2 g
Gluten-Free Living Food Editor Jackie Mallorca has more than a dozen cookbooks to her credit. Her latest titles include The Wheat-Free Cook: Gluten-Free Recipes for Everyone and Gluten-Free Italian. For more information and recipes, visit her website at GlutenFreeExpert.com.