These gluten-free Halloween treats put a fun—and vegan—twist on the classic marshmallow-and-crispy-rice-cereal combination. The inclusion of non-GMO, vegan, kosher, gluten- and gelatin-free marshmallows means most people can have a taste of Frankenstein fun. Happy Halloween!
- FRANKENSTEIN HEADS
- 1 bag Dandies Pumpkin Marshmallows or Dandies Mini Marshmallows*
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine (I use Earth Balance)
- 5 cups gluten-free crispy rice cereal
- Green gluten-free food coloring
- 1 gluten-free dark chocolate bar, melted
- *Dandies are all-natural marshmallows that are gluten free, vegan, kosher, free of gelatin and non-GMO.
- VEGAN FROSTING
- ¼ cup vegan margarine
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Microwave option: In a microwave-safe bowl, combine marshmallows, margarine and coconut oil. In 30-second intervals, with a quick stir between each, microwave until marshmallows are fully melted.
Stovetop option: In a medium pot on very LOW heat, combine marshmallows, margarine and coconut oil. Stir until fully melted.
Stir in the food coloring until the melted marshmallows are green.
Using a hand or stand mixer, combine all ingredients and beat until you have fluffy frosting. Transfer frosting into a pastry bag.
Mix cereal gradually into marshmallow cream and stir until evenly coated.
Press mixture evenly into greased 9 x 13-inch pan; it will be about ½-inch thick. Let them sit for about 30 minutes, then cut into squares.
Dip one end of each square into the melted chocolate for Frankenstein’s hair. Paint on a chocolate mouth. Lay on parchment paper to dry. Repeat with the rest of the squares.
Using the frosting, pipe a creepy face on each one. Enjoy!