5 to 6 servings
Make amazing memories and yummy treats at the same time with these cute little gingerbread cookies! These cookies are fun to make and decorate with loved ones, and even more fun to eat. They’re charming—with their frosting eyes and pomegranate buttons—but you can get creative with more toppings and decorations.
-Michelle Hoover, The Autoimmune Cookbook
- -Michelle Hoover, The Autoimmune Cookbook: https://unboundwellness.com/about/
- FOR THE COOKIES
- Coconut oil, for preparing the baking sheet
- 3/4 cup (90 g) tapioca starch
- 1/2 cup (60 g) tigernut flour
- 1 tablespoon (7 g) gelatin
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup (67 g) palm shortening
- 3 tablespoons (60 g) maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons (40 g) blackstrap molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- FOR THE FROSTING AND DECORATIONS
- 1/4 cup (50 g) palm shortening
- 1 tablespoon (20 g) light-colored honey
- 1 to 2 tablespoons (11 to 22 g) pomegranate seeds
To make the cookies: Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly coat it with coconut oil. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
In a medium bowl, cream together the palm shortening, maple syrup, and molasses. Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients. Stir in the vanilla extract and combine well until all ingredients are blended and form a dough. Transfer the dough to a pastry board or clean piece of parchment.
Working with about 1/2 cup (about 65 g) of dough at a time, flatten it to about 1/4 inch (0.6 cm) thick. Use a gingerbread cookie cutter to cut the dough and pull away from the excess dough around the cookie cutter with your fingers. Return any excess dough to the bowl. Transfer the formed gingerbread cookies onto the prepared baking sheet. Repeat the process with the remainder of the dough, evenly spacing the cookies on the baking sheet. You should have five to six cookies. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the cookies are a light golden brown.
Carefully transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely before decorating.
To make the frosting and decorations: In a medium bowl, cream together the palm shortening and honey and transfer to a piping bag. Pipe eyes and other features onto the gingerbread people. Use pomegranate seeds for buttons. Enjoy!
Preparation time: 25 minutes. Cooking time: 12 minutes.
Source URL: https://www.glutenfreeliving.com/recipes/desserts-sweets/gingerbread-cookies/
Copyright ©2020 Gluten-Free Living unless otherwise noted.