Perfect for an outdoor party, this rustic gluten-free cake topped with cherries and berries delights family and friends.
- 1¼ cups (8 ounces) fresh Bing cherries, pitted
- ½ cup (4 ounces) fresh blueberries
- 11⁄3 cups (4 ounces) almond meal
- ½ cup (2½ ounces) organic, stone-ground corn flour (not corn meal) plus 1 tablespoon, and a little extra for dusting the pan
- ½ cup (2¼ ounces) tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Large pinch fine sea salt
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for pan
- ¾ cup (5¾ ounces) sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Confectioners’ sugar
Heat the oven to 350° F. Butter the sides of an 8½- or 9-inch spring form pan and dust with corn flour. Line the base with parchment paper.
Cut the cherries in half, mix with the blueberries, and set aside.
Blend the almond meal, ½ cup of the corn flour, tapioca starch, baking powder and salt, and reserve.
Cream the butter with the sugar until light and pale in color. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and smooth the top.
Quickly toss the cherries and blueberries with the remaining tablespoon of corn flour. Spoon the cherries and blueberries on top of the batter, but avoid the very center as much as possible. (Too much fruit concentrated in the middle might make the center of the cake too moist.) Bake for about 50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted near the center emerges clean. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Place on a wire rack, remove the sides and let cool completely, still on the base. Dust with confectioners’ sugar and transfer to a flat plate.
Calories: 380, Carbohydrates: 44 g, Protein: 7 g, Fat: 21 g, Saturated Fat: 8 g, Cholesterol: 100 mg, Sodium: 60 mg, Fiber: 4 g
Recipes © copyright 2013 by Jacqueline Mallorca. The author of more than a dozen cookbooks, Gluten-Free Living Food Editor Jackie Mallorca’s latest titles include The Wheat-Free Cook and Gluten-Free Italian.