This chocolate mousse pie is over the top. Somehow it manages to be both really rich and really light. It’s easy to make this recipe dairy-free; simply swap the whipped topping for a dairy-free version. Homemade or store-bought whipped coconut cream works great.
- 1 (9-inch) gluten-free chocolate graham crust (Mi-Del suggested)
- 1 bag (10 ounces) chocolate chips, traditional or dairy-free
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup coffee or water
- 2 cups whipped topping, whipped cream or whipped coconut cream
- Whipped topping, whipped cream or whipped coconut cream
- Mini chocolate chips
Place the pie crust on a small baking sheet.
Combine the chocolate chips, cocoa powder, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan. Stir. Add the coffee. Heat over low heat, stirring constantly, until smooth. Remove mixture from heat and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
Using an electric mixer, whip the chocolate mixture until it thickens slightly. (If it’s too warm, it won’t thicken. Allow to cool an additional few minutes.)
Add one cup of the whipped topping. Whip until combined. Add the remaining cup of whipped topping. Beat until no streaks of chocolate or whipped topping remain. Mixture should be light and airy.
Spread mixture evenly into pie crust. Chill for two hours. Top with whipped cream and chocolate chips.