Choconana-Cherry “Ice Cream”
This banana-based “ice cream” tastes downright decadent. It can be prepared in a snap and is downright healthful, too! The only catch is you must remember to freeze the bananas first.
- 4 bananas (about 6 ounces each), ripe but not soft
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, such as Hershey's
- ¾ cup (6 ounces) thick Greek yogurt, whole or 2% milk (plus extra for garnish, optional)
- Large pinch fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup (4 ounces) frozen unsweetened dark cherries, cut in quarters (plus a few whole ones for garnish, optional)
Peel the bananas and enclose separately in plastic wrap. Freeze until solid, 4 hours or up to 3 days.
Slice the frozen bananas thickly, put into a food processor and add the cocoa. Whizz until finely ground, scraping down the bowl as needed.
Add the yogurt, salt and almond extract and process to a smooth cream. Add the cherries and pulse briefly to incorporate.
Enjoy at once in “soft serve” form, or pack into a clean 1-pint yogurt tub, cover and freeze until solid. Allow to thaw slightly before scooping. Garnish with optional whole cherries and mini-scoops of Greek yogurt.
Nutrition Analysis: 240 cal, 5 g fat, 10 mg chol, 15 mg sodium, 48 g carbs, 7 g fiber, 26 g sugar, 6 g protein.
Variation: For Chocolate Rum-Raisin “Ice Cream,” swap 1 cup raisins plumped in 2 tablespoons dark rum for the cherries.
The author of more than a dozen cookbooks to date, Gluten-Free Living Contributing Editor Jackie Mallorca’s titles include The Wheat-Free Cook and Gluten-Free Italian.
Source URL: https://www.glutenfreeliving.com/recipes/desserts-sweets/choconana-cherry-ice-cream/
Copyright ©2022 Gluten-Free Living unless otherwise noted.