Enjoy this easy gluten-free cherry crisp as is or topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- 2 cans (14½ ounces each) pitted tart red cherries, well drained (reserve the juice, see below)
- 4 tablespoons (1¾ ounces) sugar
- 3 tablespoons (1 ounce) cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ cup (1 ½ ounces) certified gluten-free rolled oats
- ½ cup (2 ounces) brown rice flour
- ¾ cup (3½ ounces) light brown sugar
- ½ cup (2 ounces) chopped walnuts
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- 6 tablespoons (3 ounces) unsalted butter, melted, plus extra butter for baking dish
Heat the oven to 350° F. Lightly butter a 6-cup shallow baking dish, for example an 8 inch or 9 by 1½ inch cake pan.
Combine the drained cherries, sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice, and pour into the prepared dish.
Stir the oats, brown rice flour, brown sugar, walnuts, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and salt together. Add the melted butter and mix well. Sprinkle evenly over the cherries. Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool for about 15 minutes before serving.
Cook’s Tip: If you like, you can use the reserved cherry juice for poaching a combination of pitted prunes and dried apricots (all three stone fruits are related, so they go well together), adding a squeeze of lemon juice and just a little sugar.
Calories: 390, Carbohydrates: 55 g, Protein: 5 g, Fat: 19 g, Cholesterol: 30 mg, Sodium: 40 mg, Fiber: 4 g
Recipes © copyright 2013 by Jacqueline Mallorca. The author of more than a dozen cookbooks, Gluten-Free Living Food Editor Jackie Mallorca’s latest titles include The Wheat-Free Cook and Gluten-Free Italian.