Treat yourself and your family to delicious brownies this Valentine’s Day. Our brownies call for a full can of black beans, providing lots of protein and fiber – delicious and nutritious!
The salted almonds are optional for those looking for a nut-free treat.
- 4 cups fresh or frozen (not thawed) red tart cherries, pitted and halved
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 package Breads from Anna® Gluten-Free Black Bean Brownie Mix
- 1 15 oz. can of black beans, well rinsed and drained
- ¼ teaspoon of salt (optional)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- ⅔ cup liquid (combination of juice from roasted cherries and water, see below)
- 1 jumbo egg (optional)
- ⅓ cup oil
- ½ to 1 cup of chocolate chips (optional)
- 2/3 cups whole almonds
- 1 teaspoon oil
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
Salted Almonds: Toss almonds with 1 teaspoon oil and ½ teaspoon Kosher salt. Roast in 350-degree oven for 20 minutes. Allow almonds to cool. Chop almonds. Sprinkle salted, roasted almonds evenly over the top of the mix before baking.
Roasted Cherries: Stir maple syrup into fresh or frozen cherries. Roast cherries in 400-degree oven for 20 minutes. Stir and roast for another 10 minutes. Remove cherries from juice and drain well, keeping juice for roasted cherry drizzle.
Brownies: Follow package instructions. Fold half of the roasted cherries into batter with chocolate chips.
Roasted Cherry Drizzle: Puree remaining cherries and combine with juice to drizzle over brownies, or simply top with cherries and discard juice.