These waffles come together in minutes—no whipping egg whites required. For the crispiest waffles, be sure to preheat your waffle iron before adding the batter. For a dairy-free version, replace the milk with your favorite dairy-free substitution.
- 1¾ cups gluten-free flour blend with xanthan gum* (I used Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cups milk, traditional or dairy free
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup vegetable oil plus additional for greasing iron
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Maple syrup and butter for serving, optional
- *If your flour blend doesn't contain xanthan, add ½ teaspoon xanthan gum to the recipe when you whisk together the flour with the other ingredients.
Heat waffle iron as directed by manufacturer.
Whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Add milk, eggs, oil and vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth.
Grease waffle iron.
Spoon ¼ of the batter into the hot iron and cook according to the manufacturer’s directions. Cook until golden brown and crisp. Repeat with remaining batter.
Serve immediately with syrup and butter, if desired.
Nutrition Analysis: 460 cal, 19 g fat, 100 mg chol, 390 mg sodium, 61 g carbs, 0 g fiber, 8 g sugar, 9 g protein.
Elizabeth Barbone, author of the cookbooks Easy Gluten-Free Baking and How to Cook Gluten-Free, is a regular contributor to Gluten-Free Living. She also blogs at glutenfreebaking.com.