Grain-Free Morning Glory Muffins
One of my favorite escapes as a young mom was a sweet hour all to myself at a local coffee shop with a good book and a great cup of coffee. I discovered Morning Glory Muffins one Saturday and fell in love. Chock full of fruit and nuts, they are the perfect healthy treat. This version calls for almond and coconut flours, upping the nutritional ante with added protein, fiber and healthy fats. Hide them all for yourself, indulge with friends or, OK, maybe share with the kids.
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 heaping teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½-inch fresh ginger, peeled and grated (or ¼ teaspoon powdered ginger)
- Pinch ground allspice or clove
- ½ cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 red or pink apple, grated
- 1 large carrot, grated
- ¼ cup pecans or walnuts, finely chopped
- ¼ cup raisins, soaked in hot water for 5 minutes and strained
- Softened butter, for serving
Preheat oven to 350° F and generously grease a standard muffin pan (or line with paper cups).
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, spices and coconut.
In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, oil and honey. Add apple, carrot, chopped nuts and raisins.
Thoroughly combine wet and dry ingredients, and use a large scoop to add batter into prepared muffin pan.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until tops spring back when lightly touched or a cake tester comes out clean.
Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a cooling rack.
Serve warm or at room temperature with softened butter.
Recipe and photo by Angela Sackett.
Source URL: https://www.glutenfreeliving.com/recipes/breakfast/grain-free-morning-glory-muffins/
Copyright ©2020 Gluten-Free Living unless otherwise noted.