Grain-Free Gluten-Free Crêpes with Berries and Lemon
One summer afternoon while wandering through Tampa, my daughter and I discovered an authentic crêperie.
We watched the chef swirl the most perfectly delicate works of art. Topped with chocolate hazelnut spread, fresh berries or a simple squeeze of lemon and sprinkle of coarse sugar, crêpes are deceptively simple to make and easy to freeze for later—if you have any left!
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon melted butter or ghee
- 4 tablespoons almond flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 4 teaspoons arrowroot starch
- ½ teaspoon almond or vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 pinch sea salt
- ½ cup almond milk
- Butter or ghee, to grease skillet
- 1 cup fresh berries
- 1 lemon, sliced or cut into wedges
- Bananas, sliced, optional
- Almonds, sliced, optional
- VANILLA WHIPPED CREAM, OPTIONAL
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs until light and frothy. Whisk in melted butter, flours, almond extract, honey, salt and milk until fully combined. The mixture should be thin, like runny pancake batter; if needed, add 1 to 2 more drops of milk.
Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat and add a pat of butter or small scoop of ghee. Swirl pan to melt and coat.
Remove skillet from burner and pour a generous ¼ cup of batter into it, then quickly swirl to spread into a thin round shape, about 8 inches.
Return skillet to burner and cook over medium heat just until the top begins to set (about 1 to 2 minutes) and carefully flip.
Cook just until top sets, about 30 more seconds.
For whipped cream, combine heavy cream, honey and extract in the bowl of a stand mixer with a whisk attachment and whisk until thick peaks form. Be careful not to over-mix or the cream will separate and “fall.”
- Garnish with a dollop of Vanilla Whipped Cream.
- Fold crêpe into quarters, drizzle with lemon juice and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Top with berries, sliced bananas or sliced almonds as desired.
Recipe and photo by Angela Sackett
Source URL: https://www.glutenfreeliving.com/recipes/breakfast/grain-free-gluten-free-crepes-with-berries-and-lemon/
Copyright ©2020 Gluten-Free Living unless otherwise noted.