Some interesting consumer perspectives of the gluten-free diet are revealed in research data from Mintel. Some of it is contradictory and shows how complex the gluten-free market has become.
The short version:
- Half think the gluten-free diet is a fad
- More are eating gluten free
- Less are using the diet for weight loss
- Most think the quality of gluten-free food has improved
- Some have less trust in the true gluten-free status of products.
- Some are less strict when they eat out in restaurants
- More restaurants are offering gluten-free menus and options on these menus are growing
- Eating in restaurants continues to be problematic for those who have celiac disease and gluten sensitivity.
To get more details on results from the survey, visit QSR’s website.