Top 10 Gluten-Free Apps
These apps save time & trouble in supermarkets and restaurants
The struggle to safely eat gluten free is real. If you’re searching for a trustworthy gluten free restaurant, are unsure if a product or ingredient contains gluten or need to communicate your gluten free requirements in another language, look no further as these user-friendly gluten free apps make it all possible!
Your smartphone or tablet is an amazing portal to easily find all things gluten free. Gluten-free and allergen-free information is just a click or touch of the screen away. Check out these 10 apps (in no particular order) that will make navigating life gluten free a breeze!
Dining Out Apps: Eat Out With Confidence
Find Me Gluten Free
Pricing: Free (offers in-app purchases)
Find Me Gluten Free helps you eat gluten free. No need to hunt for a review of a restaurant that mentions eating gluten free.
- All the reviews on Find Me Gluten Free are from other members of the gluten-free community.
- Whether you have celiac disease, gluten sensitivity or intolerance, you’ll have the ability to effortlessly find restaurants, fast food, bars, cafes, grocery stores and more.
- Search via your current location or a specific address.
- View menus, call, or get directions for each business.
- View others’ ratings and reviews and submit your own.
AllergyEats is a comprehensive guide to food allergy-friendly restaurants across the United States. The sharing of real experiences from other food-allergic diners allows you to quickly find restaurants that are capable of properly addressing your dietary restrictions.
- Discover allergy-friendly restaurants across the U.S. on the fly.
- Customize your search results for major allergens and dietary restrictions.
- Search for a specific location or simply wherever you find yourself.
- Read comments about restaurants from other food-allergic diners.
- Make reservations at over 20,000 U.S. restaurants via one-click OpenTable.
- AllergyEats provides valuable peer-based ratings reflecting how well (or poorly) restaurants accommodate the needs of food-allergic and food-intolerant guests.
Gluten Free Restaurant Cards
Gluten Free Restaurant Cards is an app which allows people with celiac disease to dine out with confidence.
- Access over 40 card images from CeliacTravel.com in many languages that can be shown to the wait staff and chef to explain the restrictions for those on a gluten free diet.
- Gluten Free Restaurant Cards ensure your dietary request message doesn’t get lost or corrupted on its way to the kitchen.
Shopping Apps: Easily Navigate the Grocery Store
Fooducate Healthy Weight Loss & Calorie Counter
Pricing: Free (gluten and allergies portion must be purchased in-app)
Find out what’s in your food with the Fooducate app. This app scans and grades foods based on their ingredients. Learn nutrition basics and get recommendations for healthy alternatives.
- Extensive food database scans over 250,000 product barcodes.
- Fooducate analyzes information found in product nutrition panels and ingredient lists.
- Personalize Fooducate with your health conditions, dietary goals, and what ingredients/foods you need to avoid.
- Choose allergen free alternatives.
- In addition to gluten, Fooducate identifies milk, lactose, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, and shellfish.
The Gluten Free Scanner
The Gluten Free Scanner app maintains a database of food and drink products within the United States to detect the presence of gluten. Find out immediately whether a product contains gluten by scanning its barcode with your phone’s camera.
- Search the database of over 500,000 products by product name, brand, or category.
- The Gluten Free Scanner’s database is maintained for accuracy by a team of registered dietitians, nutritionists, and researchers.
- Access dining and travel cards for the ability to eat safely domestically and abroad.
- Utilize the searchable list of both safe and unsafe ingredients for shopping, cooking, and restaurants.
- Every scan will be analyzed on four levels to provide greater information and protection. This enables you to make a more informed decision as to whether to try the product.
- Unlimited number of product scans.
Is That Gluten Free?
Pricing: $7.99 (offers in-app purchases)
Is That Gluten Free? provides verified gluten free product information at your fingertips. App features include:
- Over 36,000 manufacturer verified gluten free products from over 1,500 brands.
- No connectivity required – this app will continue to work even inside grocery stores where your internet connection may not be available.
- One-touch manufacturer website and phone links allowing you to obtain more information.
- Manufacturer comments regarding pertinent information such as potential cross-contamination.
- Search by Category, Brand, or Product Name.
- Searchable filter option to identify safe, unsafe, and potentially unsafe ingredients.
Sift Food Labels
Pricing: Free (offers in-app purchases)
Sift Food Labels breaks down complicated ingredient labels, so you know exactly what’s in your food. Simply scan the barcode of any food product and Sift will translate the ingredients into easy-to-understand terms.
- Simply snap a picture of the UPC bar code of any food product. Ingredients from over 400,000 products are translated into simple terms.
- Takes the guesswork out of food labels.
- Risky ingredients that are banned in other countries or pose a risk to your health are flagged.
- Upgrade for additional support for lifestyle diets. Sift currently supports gluten free, dairy free, FODMAP, no added sugar, paleo, soy free, vegan, and whole food diet.
ShopWell Diet, Allergy Scanner
Know your food with the ShopWell bar code app scanner. Create your Food Profile to learn how products match with your needs, goals, and lifestyle.
- Utilize the bar code scanner to instantly find the ingredients in approximately 400,000 foods.
- Location awareness to find products in your local grocery store.
- In addition to gluten, ShopWell provides allergy alerts for peanuts, soy, sesame, eggs, wheat, tree nuts, corn, sulfites, milk, lactose, monosaccharides/disaccharides, oligosaccharides, and shellfish.
- Purchase recommended foods right from the app with ShopWell’s mobile shopping feature.
Gluten Free Education Apps: Knowledge at Your Fingertips
Celiac Disease, Wheat and Gluten
Pricing: Free (offers in-app purchases)
This educational app has been specially designed for those with celiac disease and gluten sensitivity. Features include:
- Symptoms of celiac disease.
- How to diagnose and treat celiac disease.
- Listing of gluten free foods to eat as well as gluten-containing foods to avoid.
- Details within this app are carefully reviewed and monitored by dietitians.
- Option to consult with an online registered dietician.
mySymptoms Food Diary
Pricing: $2.99 (offers in-app purchases)
mySymptoms is an easy way to track food, symptoms, and bowel movements to help identify trigger foods in your diet. This flexible diary tracks food, bowel health, stress, sleep, mood, medications, and symptoms to gain insights into your digestive health and well-being.
- Used by sufferers of celiac disease, food intolerance and other digestive conditions.
- Record food, drink, medication, mood, stress, exercise, environment and other activities.
- Record bowel movements (using Bristol scale), energy and sleep quality.
- Discover any patterns between your diet and symptoms.
- View suspect foods, trends and correlations between food and symptoms.
- Multi-user platform: keep a diary for each member of the family.
Maureen Stanley was diagnosed with celiac disease in 2005, back before gluten free was “mainstream.” Feeling isolated and confused, Maureen created Hold the Gluten website to connect with fellow members of the gluten free community. Learn more at www.holdthegluten.com.